The cron function should run periodically. But core cron runs all tasks at once. Enter Elysia Cron: this module lets you schedule specific cron tasks. For example, you may want to rebuild the XML Sitemap at midnight, but refresh your Node cache every hour.
The Elysia Cron's cron.php overrides the core cron.php (make backup). It is best called once every minute. This does not influence performance as the Elysia Cron module determines what tasks should be run and when.
- Granular control over cron tasks
- Improved performance by avoiding Drupal peak loads
- Download Elysia Cron (module)
- Download SuperCron (module)
- Download Cron Multi-Threaded (module)
- 2Bits: Improving performance of Drupal cron with Elysia Cron
- Drupal handbook: System cron and caching
- Drupal handbook: Set up cron